Sciatica might seem like a small thing, however, Sciatica performs one of the most important functions of the human body. The sciatica is a region situated in the lower back of the human body. Sciatica has the longest and the biggest nerve of the human body. However, this area, if affected, can cause an individual a lot of pain and discomfort. Seeking help from chiropractic care is one of the best ideas to help provide relief from this pain. There are various stretching exercises that are advised by a chiropractor to help provide relief from sciatic pain. Mentioned below are some of them.
Supine Side Stretch
- Keeping your back and feet straight, lie down on the ground.
- While resting a knee on the outer side of the leg, take the other leg and bend it upwards.
- The knee of your affected leg should be kept at ease with your opposite hand across the middle of your body till you feel a stretch.
- Ensure that your hips and shoulders are at ground level.
- Return to your first position after holding it for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same exercise with your other leg.
- Repeating this stretching exercise will be beneficial if you do it 2-3 times.
- Using your side that is not in pain, lie down on your side.
- Create an “L” Shape. This shape can be made by keeping your legs parallel to each other and ensuring that you are holding one foot over the other and bending your legs backward.
- Lift the top knee while maintaining the same position for other body parts and keeping your feet together.
- Bring your knee to the first position slowly.
- Repeating this exercise 15 times is generally recommended in chiropractic treatment as it can ensure immense relief from the pain.
Long Adductor Stretch
- Stretch your legs in front of you while sitting on the floor. Stretch as far as you can.
- While positioning your torso towards the ground in a forward manner, place your hands next to each other on the floor.
- Rest your elbows on the ground while leaning forwards.
- Stay in the same way for 10-20 seconds.
- However, this stretching exercise should be immediately stopped if you feel any form of pain and discomfort.
- While bending your knees upwards, lie down on a flat surface.
- Bend the affected leg upwards towards your chest. Keep the affected leg on top of the other leg.
- Grab your ankle with one hand and use the other hand to grab your knee.
- Until your glutes feel tight and stretched, pull the bent leg across your body.
- Release after holding this position for 30 seconds.
- As this exercise requires serious technicality, you should only perform it under a chiropractic care professional till you get the proper hang of it.
- Sit on a chair and cross your affected leg over the knee of the other leg.
- Use your strength to bend forward with your chest while keeping your spine straight.
- You can bend a little more if you are not experiencing any pain.
- Keep the same position for 30 seconds.
- Using the other leg, repeat the exercise.
- This exercise might seem simple, however, you should still be careful while performing it. This will help you avoid any unnecessary strain.
- Take a position on all fours while bending towards the ground.
- While pointing the knee towards your shoulder, bring the affected leg’s foot below your stomach and twist it on the other side of your hip.
- Lean on your forearms for support and bend your head towards the floor.
- While keeping your pelvis straight, stretch the leg that is not affected behind you.
- Slightly push your hips towards the floor.
- Keep this position for 30 seconds and repeat it 2-3 times.
- This exercise should only be done during chiropractic treatment and under the guidance of the professional to ensure maximum comfort and support.
- Make sure that your hands are in alignment with your shoulder while getting on the ground on all fours.
- Bent your knees towards the ceiling while using your affected leg.
- Till your leg is almost touching the ground, gradually lower it.
- Repeating this exercise about 15 times is essential to ensure proper effectiveness to take place and help you relieve your pain.
Short Adductor Stretch
- Put the soles of your feet together in front of your pelvis and sit on the ground.
- Use your opposite hands to hold your ankles.
- Use your knees to push downwards and try to touch the ground.
- Release the position after holding it for 30 seconds.
- Flutter your legs like a butterfly for 30 seconds to help straighten out your muscles.
- It is recommended by chiropractic care professionals that a patient should immediately revert back to the original position if he/she is feeling pain.
- Try creating the number “4” by placing your affected leg over the knee of the other leg while standing.
- While bending your leg as needed, lower your hips until they reach the ground. Maintaining a 45° angle is appropriate.
- While keeping your spine straight, bend forward from your waist and try reaching your arms to the ground.
- Hold this position for at least 30-60 seconds.
- Repeat the same exercise with the other leg.
These exercises should be performed under proper guidance and care. Taking the help of a chiropractor is immensely helpful. This is because they will provide you comfort and proper guidance while performing these stretching exercises. Also, if you feel any pain, you should leave the exercise and take a resting position to avoid further strain on your lower back.
These are some best stretching exercises that one should perform daily in order to get relief from sciatica pain. Not only do they help prevent the pain, but they also help in avoiding such pains in the future. Chiropractic treatment involves making use of therapies that can be performed without medications or extra supplements. They make use of different exercises to help strengthen the core muscles of the body. One should definitely visit a chiropractor regularly to maintain a healthy and peaceful lifestyle marketing write for us .
4 Tips for Planning a Last-Minute Vacation
Looking for a quick getaway, but worried it’s impossible without planning ahead? Sometimes the travel bug hits, and you suddenly…