What is E-book? – Definition, History, Advantages, and More
An electronic book, digital book, or e-book, known in English as an e-book or e-Book, is a publishing electronic or digital book.
It is important to differentiate the electronic or digital book from one of the most popular devices for reading it: the electronic book reader, or e-reader, in its English version.
It is defined as “an electronic version of a printed book,” some electronic books exist without a printed equivalent.
E-books can be read on dedicated e-reading devices and any computer device with a controllable display screen, including desktop computers, laptops, e-book readers, and smartphones.
- Many devices use as electronic book readers: PC, PDA, laptop, and in general any device that has a screen and memory.
- At the end of first decade of the 21st century, devices began to appear whose function was to serve exclusively for reading electronic books.
- These devices are characterized by a design that emulates the versatility of the traditional paper book.
- Thus, mobility and autonomy were sought (mobile devices with low energy consumption to allow prolonged readings without the need for recharges)
- Screens with sufficient dimensions to display formal documents (an A4 or A5), and a high contrast level bright sunlight.
- Despite the relatively short time that the electronic book has been in digital libraries’ collections.
- Its incorporation generates a revolution in transmitting knowledge and disseminating culture.
- Among the electronic book’s potential, the following are mentioned:
- Enormous information storage capacity such as the possibility of transporting it in large volumes.
Advantages of E-book
- Less waste of paper and ink.
- Reducing the consumption of paper will reduce the pressure on forests.
- Greater convenience in portability.
- Given the concern about the fatigue that electronic books could cause in the eyes, it is a different technology.
- The electronic book screen designs not to tire the eyes.
- The models that have hitherto been the sale are all black and white.
- This technology also allows a battery life that can last up to two and three weeks.
- Digital books present particularities of the convergence of media.
- These specificities locate the experience of the e-reader (e-reader) while enjoying video, sound, and animation
- And also, interactive games at the pace of the page-turning and reading in electronic ink. (Galvis & Zapata, 2013)
- “Another highly valued benefit, especially by the elderly.
- The option of enlarging the typography to see it better can be the difference between reading and not reading a book.
Disadvantages of e-book
- If wood for paper comes from well-managed forests and plantations, it is a renewable, carbon-producing, and recyclable resource.
- The extraction of the materials needed to make the readers’ components will increase the pressure on ecosystems.
- And also, It will convert electronic tools in a short space of time into electronic waste.
- It will end up in a landfill or incinerated, which produces harmful emissions for the environment.
- Commercial control of the work will be a loss.
- Ease of copying, both legal and unauthorized, of documents.
- There is also a specific feature that an electronic book cannot offer you, such as:
- “Paper provides space-time markers that serve as references for memory” (Openbook, 2017).
- “The paper book, for its part, preserves the magic of the sensory experience, including textures, smells and even memories associated with reading printed material” (Omnia, 2018).
Electronic book security
- To alleviate the fear of the publishing world in the face of the possible loss of rights to the content of its works.
- And also, Adobe has created a complex security system framed within digital rights management (DRM) systems.
- In addition to providing extra income to Adobe, this system’s security encourages publishers such as Pearson or Dickinson to publish technical titles.
- However, other publishers such as O’Reilly offer their books without DRM, respecting their readers’ wishes and rights.
- DRM systems include restrictions on the freedom to read books on devices other than those specified or even limitations by date.
- These can even lead to the erasure of books already purchased, as in the case of Amazon with the novel 1984 by George Orwell, which even led to lawsuits.
- In the case cartoons or similar digitize ones, its called e-comics.
- If the books in audio format, Its called audiobooks.
- If the book display paginated in a web browser, it called a virtual book.
Who is DevOps engineer and how to become perfect one: A learning plan.
Who is DevOps engineer and how to become perfect one: A learning plan – In the present IT scenario of…
Are forums better than Social media to discuss your interests?
Are forums better than Social media It goes without saying that social media is plagued with issues. The most significant…