What is E-book? – Definition, History, Advantages, and More
An electronic book, digital book, or e-book, known in English as an e-book or e-Book, is a publishing electronic or digital book.
It is important to different the electronic or digital book from one of the most popular devices for reading it: the electronic book reader, or e-reader, in its English version.
It is defined as “an electronic version of a printed book,” some electronic books exist without a printed equivalent.
E-books can be read on firm e-reading devices and any computer device with a controllable display screen, as well as desktop computers, laptops, e-book readers, and smartphones.
- Many devices use as electronic book readers: PC, PDA, laptops, and in general, any device that has a screen and memory.
- At the end of the first decade of the 21st century, devices began to appear whose function was to serve exclusively for reading electronic books.
- These devices character by a design that copy the creativity of the traditional paper book.
- Thus, mobility and freedom were look for (mobile devices with low energy spend up to allow lengthy readings without the need for recharges)
- Screens with enough dimensions to display formal documents (an A4 or A5) and a high contrast level of bright sunlight.
- Despite the relatively short time that the electronic book has been in digital libraries’ collections.
- Its incorporation generates a revolution in transmitting knowledge and spread culture.
- Among the electronic book’s potential, the following are mentioned:
- Quantity information storage capacity, such as the possibility of transporting it in large volumes.
Advantages of E-book
- Less waste of paper and ink.
- Reducing the use of paper will reduce the pressure on forests.
- Greater good in portability.
- Given the concern about the electronic fatigue books could cause in the eyes, it is a different technology.
- The electronic book screen is design not to tire the eyes.
- The models that have so far exist sold all black and white.
- This technology also allows a battery life that can last up to two and three weeks.
- Digital books present particularities of the connecting of media.
- These care locate the experience of the e-reader (e-reader) while enjoying video, sound, and animation
- Also, interactive games at the pace of the page-turning and reading in electronic ink. (Galvis & Zapata, 2013)
- “Another highly valued benefit, especially by the elderly.
- The option of enlarging the typography to see it better can be the difference between reading and not reading a book.
Disadvantages of e-book
- If wood for paper comes from well-managed forests and plantations, it is an agreement, carbon-producing, and recyclable resource.
- Taking out the materials needed to make the readers’ components will increase the pressure on ecosystems.
- And also, It will convert electronic tools into electronic waste in a short space of time.
- It will result in a waste material or burn, producing harmful releases for the environment.
- Business control of the work will be a loss.
- Ease of copying, both legal and unofficial, of documents.
- There is also a specific feature that an electronic book cannot offer you, such as:
- “Paper provides space-time markers that serve as references for memory” (Openbook, 2017).
- “The paper book, for its part, preserves the magic of the sensory experience, including textures, smells and even memories associated with reading printed material” (Omnia, 2018).
Electronic book security
- To reduce the fear of the publishing world in the face of the possible loss of rights to the content of its works.
- And also, Adobe has created a complicated security system framed within digital rights management (DRM) systems.
- In addition to providing extra income to Adobe, this system’s security helps publishers like Pearson or Dickinson publish technical titles.
- However, other publishers such as O’Reilly offer their books without DRM, respecting their readers’ wishes and rights.
- DRM systems limit the freedom to read books on devices other than those names or limitations by date.
- These can even lead to the removal of books already purchased, as in the case of Amazon with the novel 1984 by George Orwell, which even led to lawsuits.
- In the case of cartoons or similar digitized ones, it’s know as e-comics.
- If the books are in audio format, It’s know as audiobooks.
- If the book displays several pages in a web browser, it is call a virtual pitch is written for our book.
How to Build Google Ads Campaigns: Everything You Need to Know
Google Advertising is one of the best ways to send more traffic to your site. As long as you bid…