Guide to Choosing the Right Pallet Racking System for your Warehouse
Managing space and storage and streamlining warehouse operations is a common challenge faced by companies today.
In the fast-paced, globally competitive environment, proper inventory management is the key to sales and order fulfillment.
Therefore, your warehouse must be equipped with the right pallet racking system to ensure optimal utilization of space and organization of inventory. In turn, it will facilitate smooth operations.
The used pallet racking system is a cost-effective solution to profitably managing your inventory. However, there are different types of pallet racking systems available in the markets, and each warehouse has its specific set of requirements.
Therefore, it is vital to select the right racking system that allows optimal space utilization while allowing for easy access to packets for faster picking and shipment. Before choosing the right one, though, here are some factors you need to consider.
What is a Pallet Racking System?
Before you begin to talk about choosing the right type of racks for your warehouse, it is important to understand what a pallet racking system is.
Pallet racking is a multi-level storage solution designed to stack cargo in palletized loads in multiple rows across multiple levels.
They are composed of upright frames and horizontal load beams to handle the weight of the cargo stored. They maximize storage space while at the same time allow for easy access to stored cargo.
When space comes at a premium and labor is scarce, an effective pallet racking system can increase productivity and increase profits.
Every warehouse is different with a unique set of requirements. The right racking system is the one that allows maximum space utilization without affecting the picking process.
Here are some of the factors you need to consider while choosing the right racking system for your warehouse.
- Budget is an vital factor in choosing the most effective racking system for your warehouse.
- While it is always tempting to go for the cheapest racking product, it may not always be a good idea to compromise quality. You will be spending on design, installation, etc., so understand your budget.
- You need a sturdy pallet racking system that streamlines your operations while at the same time protects your inventory against damages.
- Assess your storage needs to know which pallet racking system would be best suited for your needs. What kind of products do you store in your warehouse?
- For instance, if you store perishable goods that come in and go out fast, you need a racking system with wide aisles that allow fast picking and easy accessibility.
- If you deal in bulky products, you would need to consider a drive-in pallet racking system.
- If it is multiple products in small, medium qualities typical of a retail business, a selective pallet racking system would be the best bet.
Utilization of Space
- Renting a warehouse may cost a lot of money. You pay by the area. Also, factor in the operating expenses and the amount is significant.
- As the business grows, you will need more space to store additional inventory.
- A bigger warehouse would be expensive and can eat into your profits. Therefore, the best bet would be to invest in a used pallet racking system that allows you to expand vertically by adding more racks.
- How do you move your cargo? Do you use manual labor, or do you use forklifts? If you use forklifts to move the cargo, try paying attention to the width of the aisle.
- Choose a racking system that allows sufficient aisle width for easy maneuverability of forklifts.
Sturdiness and Stability
- Warehouse accidents are not uncommon. Safety is paramount when you are choosing a used pallet racking system.
- Collapsing pallet racks is one of the common causes of accidents that can cause debilitating injuries to the staff and heavy damage to the product, ultimately translating into losses for the company.
- Therefore, make sure the pallet racks are in good condition and can withstand a heavy load of products. Check for loose ends, rusty components, or broken parts.
- The pallet racking system should be strong enough to endure weight and stable to stand the test of time. It isn’t something that you replace from time to time. So choose wisely.
- If you are looking for effective utilization of your warehouse write for us space, a pallet racking system is an ideal solution.
- It allows you to store goods while allowing enough room to move around and pick the items to be moved. You need to choose the right racking system that is in line with your inventory management system.
How to move your business operation abroad
Moving your business abroad is a great way to expand. You can reach new customers, establish your brand in new…
10 Effective Strategies on How to Get More Comments on YouTube
The number of comments you get on your YouTube videos directly correlates with how popular your channel will become. Getting…